Bowen Downs was the first land settled in the Aramac area. The year was 1861 and Bowen Downs and Mt Cornish stations were run in conjunction and considered to be the largest sheep and cattle property in the world.
Aramac Station was settled in 1863 taking it's name from Aramac Creek which in turn was a corruption of the initials 'R.R.Mac' - inscribed on a local tree by pioneer R.R. Mackenzie. The place had originally been called Marathon.
John Kingston who was employed on Aramac Station had the foresight to open a shanty store on Aramac Creek which, two years later, developed into Kinston's Bazaar - a hotel. James Tilbury built a bark-hut Grocer and Drapery and the seed was sown. The place was declared a townsite in 1869 and the construction of a post office, school and hospital followed.
Aramac hosted Western Queensland's first agricultural show and several hotels were established as well as a brickworks. A medical practitioner had set-up shop and the Queensland National Bank opened a branch with the Bank of New South Wales to follow. The 1870's saw the construction of a hospital, police station and courthouse while a license was granted for a slaughterhouse.
Horse racing has been a part of Aramac culture since the towns inception and the building of a race course began in 1908. Five years later a tram line was installed to Barcaldine. This presumably ended delivery of the mail by stage coach as the service closed a year later.
Although Aramac showed plenty of promise in the early years it never really launched into a fully fledged regional centre. Census figures show that the towns population peaked in the early 1960's with about 650 residents. Today there is less than half that many people living in town.
Aramac was one of Queenslands 74 divisions and included the town of Longreach in its jurisdiction. In 2007 Aramac merged with the shires of Jericho and Barcaldine to form Barcaldine Shire.
Points of interest around town include 'The White Cow' - a statue celebrating the bushranger 'Captain Starlight', The Tramway Museum, Lake Dunn, Gray Rock and various historic buildings.
Related Articles -
◄ The Complete
Guide To 4WD
The 4WD ►
To Outback Touring