In the middle of nowhere, on the road to nowhere, Agnew came close to suffering the fate of hundreds of gold-rush boom towns - extinction.
Once home to 500 hopefuls, with a gazetted town plan of 9 streets, a school and recreation reserve, today all that remains is the pub.
Agnew was a bit of a late starter in the Western Australian gold rush with the townsite only being declared in 1936. Agnew serviced the nearby 'Emu Mine' which suffered a robbery of its post office a year later in 1937.
The Agnew Hotel was built in 1945 and it still operates today. It overlooks the head frame and some mining memorabilia from the East Murchison United Gold Mine.
The Agnew Gold Mine is an underground operation located 3km down the road. Today the employees work on 'fly-in/fly-out' basis meaning they have little effect on Agnew as part of a community. Further afield lies Leinster, a mining town owned and controlled by BHP BIlliton who mines nickel in the area. Visitors to Agnew are likely to be Leinster employees escaping the confines of the town environment, exploration drillers and geologists in the area, pastoralists and the odd tourist.
Leinster refers to itself as 'Home Of The Wedgetail Eagle' - Australias largest bird of prey and some magnificent specimens are found feeding on the prolific roadkill that litter the roads.
Agnew flourished for only a short period of time. A rich quartz reef was discovered in 1947 but by 1948 the Emu Mine had closed followed a year later by the original Agnew Gold Mine.
Related Articles -
◄ The Complete
Guide To 4WD
The 4WD ►
To Outback Touring